Tuesday, September 16, 2014

They Took Away My Blog

Due to changing regulations regarding public expression in Qatar, Getting to Know Qatar is now a private blog. You may request permission to access the site by clicking here: Write to me.

Qatar's Emir has approved a controversial new cybercrime law that would punish anyone who creates and shares online content that's deemed harmful to the country's "social values" or "general order."
 
Punishment for violating the laws terms include jail time and fines in excess of 250,000QR.
 
The broadly worded restrictions on publishing "false news," as well as truthful content about an individual's "private or family life," have been criticized for potentially limiting freedom of speech in a country that is home to one of the largest news outlets in the Middle East, the Al Jazeera Media Network.
 
For more than three years I've written a blog every week that I feel reflects a positive experience in Qatar. Given the general wording of the law, however, I'm not confident that a censor would agree in all cases.
 
I'm sad to go!

3 comments:

  1. Dear Cindi, I came across your blog about a month ago and I started ready it from the very first post. When I finally got all caught up, the next day my Qatar work visa was sent to me via email. I took that as a sign that I was ready to make the move. Your blog is/was EXCELLENT! It should be mandatory reading for anyone making the move to Qatar. Your post were detailed, insightful and informative. I found myself after reading post saying to my friends " well according to Cindi's blog...".I am hoping to make the move late Nov/ early Dec. When I came to you page yesterday, I panicked and thought "wow, maybe she decided to make it private for family and friends only". I am really sorry to see you go. But understand your position. Thank you for sharing. You will be missed. I wish you (and Bob) the best! Warmest regards, Nicole

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always found your blog posts about your adventures in Qatar to be both enjoyable and interesting. I'm sorry that you had to take it down, but it's completely understandable under the circumstances! Best wishes!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ditto I agree with both above, but am hoping that you will look within and find something else to share with your readers.
    Dad

    ReplyDelete